Friday, July 27, 2007

Friday Follies (aka. boring updates)

I have been so friggin' tired lately, I dunno what it is. It seems as though everyone is getting sick here, and those that aren't sick are consumed with sleep. Or drinking, which is another fantastic option.

It's a beautiful day today, thank God, and that means I can finally go and see Much Ado About Nothing on the Garden Lawn behind King's. I might have to go and buy some wine.

Tomorrow we leave for Edinburgh, 7am -- an 8 hour bus ride. I shudder at the thought. Maxine, Carlin and I are going to haul ass to the back of the bus where there is tons o' leg room and we're going to annex ourselves back there so we can sleep and read. Carlin and I armed ourselves with 3 butter croissants, 2 chocolate chip pastries, 2 chicken and bacon sandwiches, 2 1.5-liter bottles of water, and various fruit types to share between us and anyone else we feel deserves our food. Some other cool peeps (yes, I just said peeps) are going on the trip too, like Megan and Spencer, which should be a lot of fun.

I'll be sure to take an insane amount of pictures and try not to bitch and moan about how I'm not going to Edinburgh 2 weeks from now when the festival is going on. (PS. I got an e-mail two days ago saying that a spot had opened and since I was next on the waiting list, I could forgo this weekend's trip and go to the Festival instead.... but my friends are going to this one, and I wouldn't want to abandon them. Psh. What I do for friends...)

Whatever. I'll have a blast. It's SCOTLAND! I ain't complaining.

In other news, and old news, I have a book buying problem. Like... even pounds don't stop me! (The "deals" are actually better here, but whatevs...) And I've been exploring the world of British authors. So many new books to explore, and covers to judge! =)

I've already bought (aside from HP) Fred & Edie by Jill Dawson and Hotel World by Ali Smith. The latter is actually extremely experimental and very interesting to read. I also bought Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I hope to finish those last two books before Eclipse comes out, 'cause my reading capabilities will all be going downhill once that heart-attack-waiting-to-happen comes out.

I'm going to be mailing all my books home, because I simply have too many. Carlin and I are also planning on starting our own Book Club (name to be decided). I'm excited about it. We both read the same one and then talk about it. What's not to like? Other people should join and we could start a forum. We both agree that we want a reason to read (and finish) certain books, even if they aren't our favorite. That way, it makes for greater discussion. It's been nice having to read books I didn't particularly love, and that I probably would have chucked after 50 pages if I didn't have to finish.

Anyway. It's dinner time. And the play is soon.

If you didn't read my short story and you want to, it's posted below.

Goodbye for a few days!

1 comment: