Monday, June 11, 2007

Wish Me Luck As You Wave Me Goodbye

It seems only appropriate that I should begin my summer of travels by getting lost on the way home. Who gets lost driving up I5? I do, that's who. I wound up in Bakersfield, and no one wants to be in Bakersfield. If this is any sign of my navigational skills, I am worried for my well-being while combing through the streets of Paris and between airports all by my lonesome.

In case you haven't noticed, I have done very little updating. I've been in sort of a comatose state for the last 10 weeks, but now that it's over I am feeling compelled to start writing again.

This, from now on, until the end of the summer, will be devoted by my travels, my studies and extra exciting things. Hopefully this will be the best way of keeping everyone updated and informed. Pictures will be posted, as well, once I get them. If you're lucky (or rather, if I'm lucky) you'll get lots of little funny/crazy/embarrassing stories. *raises glass* Here's to hoping.

My intention is to update often, though it will really be contingent on my ability to get internet access. Until then, I will give you a run-down of how the next 11 weeks will be going for me.

New York City, with my mom, June 14th-17th
Toulouse, France, with Jessie, June 18th-24th
Paris, France, with Jessie, June 24th-29th
not entirely sure -- I'm a wanderer, June 29th-30th
Cambridge, England, for school, July 1st-August 27th

Weekends throughout my time at Cambridge will hopefully take me to places like Dublin, Edinburgh, London, Amsterdam, etc. The most exciting thing is the opportunity to spend a weekend in Scotland during the Fringe Festival -- the world's largest international theatre festival. Getting hotel rooms there, generally, is impossible, but Cambridge students already have spots reserved. That's my #1 goal: Getting on the sign-up list for that trip.

This will likely be my last update until I'm in NYC. This is the first time I'll be going over there and NOT seeing shows. We'll be exploring all of the amazing museums and I'll finally get to see my favorite place, Bethesda Fountain, in the summertime. Hopefully the bridge/tunnel leading to it won't be closed for construction this time. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures of it, again.

A very busy, academically challenging summer awaits me. I
ntensive courses in Creative Writing, Early/Modern British Theatre, and 1940's British Cinema and Identity, will ensure that I never have a boring moment.

Here is a picture to start off the travels: Me and my brilliantly constructed English-style fascinator, from Kait and Alex. It's so I would fit in at my aunt's niece's wedding in England, which I am no longer able to go to, but still -- now I won't be a total outcast at formal functions. I promise to wear this at least once.
I love you all. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. Cheerio, here I go on my way!
    I'm gonna be checking on this a lot..at least while finals and my constant attempts to escape them are going on.

    ReplyDelete