Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Signs of Life

Look.


See that half-barrel? The one full of dirt? For the past month, that big bowl o' dirt has been my pride and joy.

Why, you ask?

Well, back in February, Jon and I took an afternoon to wander around my new favorite meditation zone: Alden Lane Nursery in Livermore, CA. Two of my poor houseplants (Charlotte and Diana) bit the big one, so I wanted to find a new plant or two to pot. Well, what was meant as an hour-long errand turned into several hours of us wandering around, imagining having a yard large enough to plant blueberry bushes, peach trees, and grape vines. We looked at fountains and grasses, and discussed just how easy it would be to grow our own herbs and peppers.

Then, as I passed a display full of dahlia bulbs, I couldn't help myself. I bought 4 bulbs and a barrel. OK, a half-barrel. And lots and lots of soil. I planted them the moment I got home, and I followed the instructions carefully. I've kept the soil moist and I (meaning Jon) moved the hefty load to where it could get the most sun during the day.

And then I waited. I checked every day, getting more and more worried that I'd planted them wrong. But last week -- guess what!


Signs of life. I am one happy clam.

No comments:

Post a Comment