Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Healthy Indulgences



I just made bacon-wrapped dates.  This is a recipe I have been drooling over for nearly a year now, and I finally decided I couldn't wait another day.  Diet be-damned!

There's really nothing to it, and perhaps I'm overreacting by patting myself on the back for such an easy accomplishment.  But to anyone who collects recipes to cook, or DIY projects to make, or books to read, once you finally do one of them, it feels awfully good.

And it sure makes me happy to put a big check! on one of my "To Do" lists.

As I mentioned in my previous post, Jon and I have begun dieting with Weight Watchers officially, and I can easily say that we couldn't be happier.  Being able to eat whatever you want is... magical.  OK, obviously you can't lose your mind all day, every day, but doing this program together makes making healthy choices easy and fun.  Going shopping is exciting, and finding low-point treats is like going on a treasure hunt!

This is likely our last summer in Seattle, and between now and the time Jon and I leave, I plan to cook and bake often, and try as many different kinds of things as I can.

If you're currently wondering What is up with your constant random post topics?  What kind of writer are you trying to be anyway?? Don't worry: this isn't going to turn into a food blog.  I am not nearly creative enough for that, nor am I allowed to eat enough crazy-good stuff to make it interesting for you.  (If you're hankering for a rock star food blog or two, visit Molly at Orangette or Joy at Joy the Baker.  Your taste-buds will love you.)  But I hope you don't mind if I share some favorite recipes with you every once in a while.  I promise, I won't post something here unless it's to die for.  That seems fair, right?

That being said, if you're in to salty-sweet snacks, give this one a try.  Yumm.

Bacon-Wrapped Dates
adapted from this recipe
Serving size: 6 pieces / Weight Watchers PointsPlus value: 4 (without stuffing)

  • 1 package of pitted dates
  • 1 package of reduced fat bacon
  • 1/2 cup pecans or goat cheese (optional)

Pre-heat oven to 375º.  Line a baking sheet (must have raised edges) with aluminum foil.

If desired, stuff dates with pecans or a creamy cheese of your choice (I personally found the plain dates and bacon to be better not stuffed, but we also made them with pecans, which gave them a nice crunch).  Cut bacon slices into 1/3 pieces.  Wrap bacon around dates securely and place on baking sheet, "seam" down.

Bake for 20-25 minutes.  Let sit for approximately 10 minutes to allow bacon to fully crisp and dates to cool.  Serve and enjoy!

If you make some, comment here and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. Those look delicious! I don't know how the dates sound, but I would definitely give it a try. Or maybe I'll just have you make them for me the next time I see you. =P

    More food posts!

    ReplyDelete